What does it mean to belong? Judith Miller explores this question in a story set in the Amana Colonies of 1877. Two very different girls find themselves thrown together. Level-headed Johanna takes rebellious newcomer Berta under her wing and teaches her to embrace life in Amana. This task proves difficult. Each girl grapples with family problems, potential betrayal and life-changing decisions. Will Johanna and Berta surrender their pains and dreams to God and find the courage to truly live?
Compelling characters and believable situations coupled with skilled writing make SOMEWHERE TO BELONG an important book. I recommend it to women who enjoy stories about cloistered communities and for those who enjoy historical fiction. I also approve this book for teens because of its take on honesty, family bonding and social responsibility.
© 2010 Janalyn Voigt
*A complimentary copy of this book was provided to me by the publisher for purposes of review.

Looks like a good book. This is the type of book I like to read and loose myself in. Thanks for sharing.
ReplyDelete