Sunday, November 8, 2009

Meet and Greet Monday: Lisa Grace


Today's guest, Lisa Grace, author of Angel in the Shadows, offers a fascinating alternative to the Twilight series.
 
Lisa Grace: Thank you Janalyn for having me on your site. I appreciate the chance to talk to anyone who loves reading and writing as much as I do. For those who would like to know who I am, I've been married to my husband Todd for over twenty years and I have a six-year-old daughter whom I home school. I live along the Gulf Coast of  Florida and also spend part of the year in Tennessee and the North woods of Wisconsin.

BRC: How would you describe your book?
Angel in the Shadows - Book 1 is a young adult supernatural thriller. What sets Angel apart is the supernatural creatures that appear, in Book 1, Angel in the Shadows, only do things we know they can from the Bible. I had my Pastor, Larry Vasseur (he has his Doctorate in Theology) of Fellowship Baptist in New Port Richey, FL, read my manuscript to make sure it is scripturally sound in its message. For fun, there are over a 120 footnotes for the teens who want to check what the characters say in their Bible.

BRC: What message do you hope it conveys?

 I hope teenagers come away with the knowledge that spiritual warfare for their souls is real. The characters in the book show the reader we all make mistakes, but you can be strong with God's help.

BRC: What did you enjoy most about writing this book?

I enjoyed seeing the characters come alive and when I finished, the sense of accomplishment you feel knowing something has been created out of your imagination. I felt inspired by the Holy Spirit to write this book as I was upset by the message in theTwilight series, that it's okay to try to commit suicide (the main character jumps off a cliff when her vampire boyfriend breaks up with her.) My novel is an alternative as it has a strong female character who perseveres by relying on God and knowing that God has given her everything she needs, even when dealing with supernatural creatures who are smarter and stronger than her.

BRC: What did you dislike most about writing this book?

The constant editing process is not much fun. I edited it about seven times before I sent it out. Then the Publishing house and I did about four more revisions. Even though the book is 60,000 words, which should make it 175 pages, the text block manager cut it down to 144 to make it look more uniform. At least I'm saving some trees!

BRC: What inspired you to become a writer?

I have always written, from the age of five on. That year I wanted a typewriter for Christmas so I could write Star Trek scripts. In fourth grade at a new school, I wrote a book report and received an "F" on it because the teacher was sure I had plagiarized the front flap. What he didn't realize is I was already reading on a college level and going through at least a book a day at that point. Actually, I was flattered that he thought it was that good. My Mother brought in the book to show him the front flap and he adjusted my grade to an "A." I always thought of myself as a writer as I have a whole drawer full of stories, poems, songs and ideas. I realized I better try and get something published soon. I wasn't getting any younger.


BRC: Tell us about your writing process.

I write a page, spell check, grammar check, and then I read it out loud. I start with a very rough outline, broken into about 10 to 20 parts. I set a goal of 2,000 words a day no matter what is going on in my life. I only write my official outline and synopsis after the book is written because too much of the plot and even characters change during the process. 

BRC: What are you working on now?

I have two works in progress. Angel in the Storm  - Book 2  and The 15th Star, ( which I'm working on for National Novel Writing Month) an adult mystery thriller that can be described as 1776 meets National Treasure.

BRC: What books do you enjoy reading?

I enjoy real-life adventure, some of my favorites lately are Fire and The Perfect Storm by Sebastian Junger, The Ice Master and Ada Black Jack by Jennifer Niven, The White Cascade by Gary Krist, Voyage of the Manteno by John Haslett, and I'm currently reading Malcolm Gladwell's books Blink and Outliers. I frequently reread On Writing by Stephen King, C. S. Lewis's Mere Christianity and the Screw Tape Letters and of course the Bible.
 
BRC: Where can readers buy your book?

Angel in the Shadows,  ISBN #978-1-60911-001-7, is slated for release in December/January at Barnes and Noble, and Amazon.com. It will be distributed by Ingram and available at fine bookstores everywhere.


The difference between vampires and angels? 
Angels are real.  

BRC: Where can readers find you online?

Readers can reach me personally at www.lisagracebooks.com and I return emails sent to lisagracebooks@yahoo.com I love to answer questions and hope to hear from your readers. Thanks again Janalyn for inviting me here today.

BRC: Thanks, Lisa, for a fun and informative interview.







8 comments:

  1. Enjoyed reading about the new book. Sounds like a good one.

    Is there an excerpt posted anywhere? Didn't see one on your Web site, Lisa.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for posting this! I am always looking for books like this for my oldest son. We will be reading this series!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great interview, Lisa and Janalyn. Loved reading about the book! May the Lord bless it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice interview. :) Good job, both of you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the comments. Of course, Lisa makes me look good. :o) Maryann, I agree that an excerpt is a great idea. I seem to recall reading something on Lisa's site - did you click on her book cover?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Super good! Best of luck on this, Lisa!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lisa tried to post a comment but ran into some sort of difficulty, so she asked me to forward her remarks for her:

    Janalyn,
    Thank you for all the wonderful comments from your readers and I wll be adding excerpts from all three novels to my website by Tuesday 17th. Thanks again. Lisa

    Lisa Grace
    www.lisagracebooks.com
    Angel in the Shadows - Book 1
    The difference between vampires and angels? Angels are real.
    #ISBN 978-1-60911-001-7

    ReplyDelete
  8. This book sounds wounderful! A great alternative to the "Twilight".

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails