I heard the bells on Christmas Day
Their old, familiar carols play,
And wild and sweet
The words repeat
Of peace on earth, good-will to men!
- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
Their old, familiar carols play,
And wild and sweet
The words repeat
Of peace on earth, good-will to men!
- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
- Edna Ferber
I have always thought of Christmas time, when it has come round, as a good time; a kind, forgiving, charitable time; the only time I know of, in the long calendar of the year, when men and women seem by one consent to open their shut-up hearts freely, and to think of people below them as if they really were fellow passengers to the grave, and not another race of creatures bound on other journeys.
- Charles Dickens, A Christmas Carol
Christmas is the season for kindling the fire of hospitality in the hall, the genial flame of charity in the heart.
- Washington Irving
- Washington Irving
A Christmas gambol oft could cheer
The poor man's heart through half the year.
- Walter Scott
Somehow, not only for Christmas
But all the long year through,
The joy that you give to others
Is the joy that comes back to you.
And the more you spend in blessing
The poor and lonely and sad,
The more of your heart's possessing
Returns to you glad.
The more of your heart's possessing
Returns to you glad.
- John Greenleaf Whittier
- Leigh Hunt

Really enjoyed the quotes about Christmas, especially the one from Dickens. We just did a production of Scrooge at a community theatre here in East Texas and one of the characters used the line, "I have always thought of Christmas as a good time. A kind Time. A forgiving time. And even though it has not put an ounce of gold or silver in my pocket, I say hurrah for Christmas, and God bless it."
ReplyDeleteThat was part of my adaptation of the Christmas Classic.