Monday, March 22, 2010

Meet and Greet Monday: Sarah Sundin





Book Giveaway!
Details below. (Limited to those with mailing addresses within the United States.)


BRC: How would you describe your new release?
A Distant Melody is historical fiction set during World War II, the first book in the Wings of Glory series. Lt. Walter Novak flies a B-17 bomber in battles over Nazi-occupied Europe, while Allie Miller serves in the Red Cross against the wishes of her wealthy parents and controlling fiancé in California. Walt and Allie meet at a wedding and begin a correspondence. As letters fly between Walt's muddy bomber base in England and Allie's mansion in an orange grove, their friendship binds them together. But can they untangle the secrets, commitments, and expectations that keep them apart?


BRC: What message do you hope it conveys?
I don’t write with a lesson in mind, but I do hope my readers learn from my characters’ mistakes. I hope they learn the importance of honesty and obeying the Lord no matter the cost, and I hope young women will see that they don’t have to be beautiful to find true love.

BRC: What did you enjoy most about writing this book?
Almost everything! I really enjoyed the historical research, to the point of getting ecstatic when I found copies of the pilot’s manual for the B-17 bomber and the Army Air Force B-17 training film. Sick, really. But I also love the pre-writing stage, the actual writing, even the editing. And my favorite part of all is when I’m deep in a scene and it flows.

BRC: What did you dislike most about writing this book?
I didn’t dislike them, but the combat scenes were difficult to write. I had so many details to check. Each of those chapters probably took three times as long to write as the non-combat chapters. And they’re emotionally difficult because I know real men endured it—and far too many didn’t survive.

BRC: What inspired you to become a writer?
A dream. Literally. Although I always read voraciously, I never considered a writing career. For one thing, I knew getting published was as likely as becoming a professional ballerina. I studied chemistry, earned a doctorate in pharmacy, and then got married and chose to stay home with our three children. On January 6, 2000, I had a dream with such intriguing characters that I felt compelled to write their story. That first novel will never be published, nor should it, but it served a purpose. Since God called me to write, I decided to write seriously. I joined a critique group, attended writers’ conferences, and learned as much as I could.

BRC: Tell us about your writing process.
Since I write historicals, I do lots of research beforehand. It’s frustrating to get halfway through a book and realize a crucial part of your story won’t work historically. I also do lots of pre-writing, including detailed character charts, a plot chart to track subplots and story arcs, and scene lists with everything from the date, the weather, outfits, goals and conflict, and scene ideas. Then comes the rough draft. I’m odd—I still write the first draft longhand, but when I cuddle on my couch with pencil and paper, the writing flows. I enter each chapter in the computer a few weeks afterward, which serves as my first edit. These chapters then go to my critique groups. Once my rough draft is complete, I do a content edit, analyzing the story and characters, and incorporating input from critiques. Even though I outline beforehand, my characters still surprise me, and changes have to be made. Finally, I do a thorough copy edit before turning it in to my publisher.


BRC: What are you working on now?
I recently finished the rough draft of the third book in the Wings of Glory series, and I’m now editing it. I’m also doing some preliminary work on another series.


BRC: What books do you enjoy reading?
I gravitate toward the classics, women’s fiction, and historical fiction—but it has to have a romantic thread or I lose interest. I also love a good suspense novel and anything with humor.


BRC: Where can readers buy your book?
A Distant Melody is available at Christian bookstores as well as chains such as Barnes & Noble and Borders. It’s available on-line at ChristianBook.com, Amazon.com, RevellBooks.com and other on-line stores.

BRC: Where can readers find you online?
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/sarahsundin

Book Giveaway: Leave a comment to this post or email it privately (click here) to enter. Be sure and put "A Distant Melody Giveaway" as your subject. Entries will be accepted until midnight (Pacific time) this Wednesday. Visit this blog on Friday to find out the winner!

7 comments:

  1. I really enjoy learning about WWII through historical novels. Please enter me. Thank you!
    desertrose5173 at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Will do, Carmen. Thanks for commenting.

    And thanks, Sarah, for a great interview.


    Janalyn

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoy reading historical fiction but for some reason haven't read books on WW11 and I was born at the end of WW11. Please enter me in the giveaway.

    Blessings,
    Jo
    ladijo40(at)aol(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I want to win this book so bad as I cannot spend any more money on books right now!! i have read it praised so much!!! Otherwise I will be saving my pennies! martha(at)lclink(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've already read A Distant Melody, and loved it!. Sarah said the battle scenes were tough to write, and I can imagine they were. But my, her effort really paid off. The reader is right there in the B-17 with the characters. Great job, Sarah!

    ReplyDelete
  6. WWII is one of my favorite eras to read about. PLease enter me.

    julesreffner(at)gmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi everyone! Thanks for all your kind comments. WWII is a fascinating time period that's been under-represented lately in Christian fiction. I'm so glad Revell has been taking chances on fiction set in different eras.
    Ann - thank you :)

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails