Deborah Vogts and her husband have three daughters and make their home in Southeast Kansas where they raise and train American Quarter Horses. As a student at Emporia State University studying English and journalism, Deborah developed a love for the Flint Hills that has never faded. In writing this series, she hopes to share her passion for one of the last tallgrass prairie regions in the world, showing that God’s great beauty rests on the prairie and in the hearts of those who live there.
BRC: How would you describe your book?
Seeds of Summer is the second book in the Seasons of the Tallgrass series. It’s a heart-warming contemporary romance set in the Flint Hills of Kansas where a former rodeo queen abandons her dreams in order to care for her deceased father’s ranch and her two half-siblings, only to realize with the help of a young new pastor that God can turn even the most dire circumstances into seeds of hope.
BRC: What message do you hope it conveys?
I’d like readers to remember how important family relations are and that we can get through our difficulties if we remember to love and forgive each other. I also hope to give my readers a taste of the Flint Hills and of how God’s beauty rests on the prairie and in the hearts of those who live there.
BRC: What did you enjoy most about writing this book?
I really enjoyed writing Natalie’s story and trying to get her through the difficult family problems she had to face. She is a very strong character with an interesting twist in her story—she’s a former Miss Rodeo Kansas AND the first runner up Miss Rodeo America. I don’t want to give away any of the plot line, but I can say that much of my research involved studying the rodeo queen pageants.
BRC: What did you dislike most about writing this book?
For the longest time, I didn’t know how to end my story. Then about a month before my deadline, it came to me like a clanging cymbal. Also, there were a few plot twists created by my secondary characters—Libby and Tom—who never wanted to go in the direction I’d outlined for them. I don’t want to give away the story, so you’ll have to read the book to find out. J
BRC: What inspired you to become a writer?
I wanted to write books since high school and studied English and journalism in college, but it wasn’t until 2002 that I began taking serious steps to get to the goal. Basically, I felt God prompting me to use the gift I’d been given or it might be taken away from me. So, I jumped in with both feet. I joined a local writer’s group and ACFW, (an online writing organization). I also joined a critique group, started reading writing how-to’s and attended writing conferences. I met my first agent at the ACFW Nashville Conference in 2005. We hit it off at our meeting, and she gave me some tips on making my book series “bigger.” I did that and submitted my idea to her, and she took me on. We shopped my Seasons of the Tallgrass series for a year and had a few bites (one of them Zondervan) but no sale. In the end, she released me, which was a real heart breaker. However, we don’t always see the big picture like God does, and six months later I signed with agent, Rachelle Gardner with WordServe Literary, and we had an offer from Zondervan three months after that in May 2008.
BRC: Tell us about your writing process.
When I begin a new book, I like to start off with my characters. I will interview them and create character worksheets for them. It’s a fun process and really helps me to get to know them. After that, I’ll start working on a plot outline, which may be very vague at the beginning. From there, I’ll form a short and long synopsis of the story that will be used for marketing. Once all of these steps are done, I’ll start writing. The plot might change, and the characters may go through transitions along the way, but it’s always fun to see how the story progresses and eventually ends.
BRC: What are you working on now?
I’m currently finishing up the third book in the series, Blades of Autumn, which is the story about Clara, the owner of Clara’s Café. Here's a brief description:
With a café to run and three children to raise, Clara Lambert doesn’t have time for men or loneliness, despite what her heart might tell her. When two handsome cowboys vie for her attention, one of the brothers proves to be her soul mate, but at what cost? Will it tear the brothers’ relationship apart or is blood really thicker than water?
BRC: What books do you enjoy reading?
I enjoy reading contemporary and historical Christian fiction, particularly those with a western, country or small town setting.
BRC: Where can readers buy your book?
Readers may find my Seasons of the Tallgrass series books in all fine bookstores as well as at their favorite online store. Seeds of Summer will be released the end of May but is available for preorder at the following links:
Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Seeds-Summer-Book-Seasons-Tallgrass/dp/031029276X/ref=pd_sim_b_1
ChristianBook: http://www.christianbook.com/seeds-of-summer-seasons-the-tallgrass/deborah-vogts/9780310292760/pd/292761?item_code=WW&netp_id=683685&event=ESRCN&view=details
BRC: Where can readers find you online?
My website: http://www.deborahvogts.com/
My blog: http://www.deborahvogts.blogspot.com/
Plus, Country magazine (Reiman Publications) interviewed me for their April/May issue, which was an incredible blessing and honor, as I’ve been a huge fan of their publications for years. If you go to their site, you can read a sample from the first chapter of Seeds of Summer as well as enter your chance to win one of my books. This drawing ends May 31. - http://www.country-magazine.com/
BRC: Thanks for stopping by today and letting us get to know you.
Thank you for hosting me on your blog, Janalyn. I’ve enjoyed this time together and look forward to getting to know your readers!
"Snow Melts in Spring" by Deborah Vogts


Thanks for hosting me on your blog, Janalyn. Many blessings to you!
ReplyDeleteHi Deborah, Your interview was great. I like finding out little things about the authors. It lets me know them better.
ReplyDeleteI would love to win your book. I love these type books and enjoy reading them. Don't have to skip parts I don't won't to read. lol.. I enjoy clean books.
Thanks for stopping by to chat.
misskallie2000 at yahoo dot com
Thanks for a great interview. I always enjoy especially hearing about other's writing processes.
ReplyDeletejulesreffner(at)gmail(dot)com
My pleasure, Deborah. Misskallie, did you follow the link to enter the giveaway? Julia, I slipped that question into my interviews for me.J I'm glad you like it, too.
ReplyDeleteWonderful interview with Deborah. She's one of my favorite people. Can't wait to read Seasons of the Tallgrass!
ReplyDeleteGreat interiew! Great book too!
ReplyDeleteThanks everyone for stopping by. Blessings to you!
ReplyDelete