Monday, June 14, 2010

Meet and Greet Monday: Marybeth Whalen

Marybeth Whalen is the wife of Curt and mom of six children. The family lives outside Charlotte, NC. Marybeth is a member of the Proverbs 31 Ministries speaker team and a regular contributor to their daily devotions which reach over 350,000 people each day. She served as general editor of For The Write Reason and The Reason We Speak. She and her husband Curt co-authored Learning To Live Financially Free and her first novel, The Mailbox will be released in June 2010. Additionally, she serves as director of She Reads, Proverbs 31 Ministries' fiction division. Marybeth speaks regularly to women's groups and enjoys sharing stories from her daily adventures as a wife, mom, writer, and, most importantly, a follower of God. You can find her online at http://www.marybethwhalen.com/.


The Interview

BRC: How would you describe your book?
My novel, The Mailbox can best be described as the perfect summer read. Set on a beach in NC and revolving around a real landmark with folklore and mystery surrounding it, it is a story of first love and second chances.

BRC: What message do you hope it conveys?
That God loves us, pursues us, and always has surprises waiting if we are ready to risk.

BRC: What did you enjoy most about writing this book?
The challenge of actually writing a novel, start to finish. And feeling like I spent a lot of time at the beach while I wrote it-- I may not have actually been there, but I felt like I was!

BRC: What did you dislike most about writing this book?
The edits. It was grueling to do some things my editor asked of me that I totally didn't think I could do. She stretched me... and ended up creating a book that I am proud of.

BRC: What inspired you to become a writer?
I came that way-- I have always loved writing, making up stories.

BRC: Tell us about your writing process.
I create an outline for the story, scene by scene. Then each day when I sit down to write, I just look at that outline to find where I am and write whatever comes next. I write 1000 words a day on average.

BRC: What are you working on now?
My second novel will come out next June. And I am thinking about my third...

BRC: What books do you enjoy reading?
Contemporary Women's Fiction, both secular and Christian

BRC: Where can readers find you online?

Website and Blog: http://www.marybethwhalen.com/
Facebook: www.facebook.com/marybethwhalen
Twitter: www.twitter.com/marybethwhalen

BRC: Where can readers buy your book?
I would love it if they would buy it from Proverbs 31, the ministry I work with!http://www.proverbs31.org/. But you can find it most anywhere-- or ask for it at your local bookstore.




2 comments:

  1. Thanks for a glimpse into your writing process and for a heads up on your new book, Marybeth.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Janalyn! Great to read about Marybeth. And I love the book cover. Awesome!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails